Saturday, September 10, 2011

Where Were You

In remembrance of September 11th, I'm writing an extra post this week.  I feel compelled to share a wonderful song written by Alan Jackson.  You may have already heard it, but perhaps its been a while.  This song is called "Where Were You", but I remember it as "Faith, Hope, and Love." 

To be honest, I haven't thought much about the anniversary of that horrible day much.  It was just a couple of days ago that I began to really remember the emotion of that time in America's history.  I was having coffee with my neighbor from accross the street, a wonderful English woman in her 60s who visited New York City and Ground Zero last spring.  She spoke of how her hotel was right next to a fire station, and she got the chance to speak to some of the fire fighters and see the wall of their station that memorializes their brothers who died that day.  She got choked up when she talked about all the children that lost their fathers.  And then it all came back to me.

I won't go into the details of where I was that day, but one of the things I remember most was waking up on September 12th and feeling like the the world was a different place, I didn't understand this world.  In this song, Alan shares a variety of the reactions that many of us had during those days.  But in the end, for so many of us Christians, we had to turn to God with all of our fears. He reminds us of God's gifts...Faith, Hope and Love. 

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the the greatest of these is love.
1 Corinthians 13:13

So amidst the shock, sadness, and anger, we are reminded to have faith that the Lord is with us, have hope for a better future in God's plan, that our God loves us more than we can imagine, and he wants us to love Him and love the people of this world.  This is a comforting reminder to us now, 10 years later, as we remember and relive those emotions, again with terrorist threats not letting us forget that the world is still a scary place.  We still need this reminder. 

I pray that you all have a peaceful day on Sunday.  Even though I'm not home in America, I will be remembering with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment