Monday, September 12, 2011

Lead Me

I got an email from a friend a few days ago with sad news that his marriage is in trouble.  He told me that the song "Lead Me" by Sanctus Real has been a constant prayer for him during this difficult time.  Since this song has been very meaningful to me in my life and I've seen it have meaning in several other people's lives regardless of the strength of their marriage, it seems like a good time to share this with you. Perhaps you'll learn something from it like I have...

I've found myself on both sides of this song.  First, the wife who needs more from her husband, and second the parent that is so caught up in her own life that she disappoints her family while pursuing her own interests.  The second side is the one that I can control, but it can be so hard to change.  It's a really tough balance isn't it?  As adults we are driven to succeed in whatever we do, but sometimes our view of success can come with a cost to our family life.  Knowing what cost your family can afford can be very challenging.  Or maybe we're so consumed by our own desires that our priorities shift away from family commitments we've made.  There are plenty of opportunities in this world to be led astray and lose focus on what's important.  Unfortunately, we don't always realize that we're on the wrong path until after someone gets hurt by the choices we make.

My favorite part of this song is when the lead singer Matt asks God to lead him.  As parents and spouses we have this responsibility to lead our children, lead our spouses, during times of struggle, but also in everyday life. How often do we think to ask God to lead us in that effort? 

So Father, give me the strength
To be everything I'm called to be
Oh Father, show me the way
To lead them

Won't You lead me?

To lead them with strong hands
To stand up when they can't
Don't want to leave them hungry for love
Chasing things that I could give up

I'll show them I'm willing to fight
And give them the best of my life
So we can call this our home
Lead me 'cause I can't do this alone

Father, lead me 'cause I can't do this alone

This is one of those songs that was written from personal experience, and the lead singer of Sanctus Real made a video with this wife about why he wrote this song.  They are both so open and honest about their failures and challenges, they make it so easy to relate to them.



May you find guidance in this song, perhaps learn lessons for yourself, and know that if you let Him, God will lead you and your loved ones down the path that he intends for you all. 

1 comment:

  1. Well written, my Friend! Thanks for listening & sharing. Sometimes an idea or principle can seem so important until you lose the one you love. Perfection is the enemy!

    This past Sunday, I led the children's service. We played a little game about how Christian music is all around us; how it serves as a reminder all week long; where to find it - on air, online, in stores. It felt like I reached them where they are at. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete