Sunday, October 16, 2011

Do Everything

This week's song initially grabbed my attention when I first visited my local Christian Bookstore in Derby last week.  It's by Steven Curtis Chapman, from his new album called "Re:Creation."  The title of the song is "Do Everything" and it's just so uplifting and encouraging for me.  I would guess that many Christians find themselves in the routines of life and wonder how what they are doing day-to-day is serving the Lord.  I am reminded by this song that everything we do in life, even doing the dishes, can give God glory.  It's all about our perspective isn't it?  By doing the dishes, I can be rejoicing in the fact that my family is blessed by God in having food every day.  By doing the dishes happily, I glorify God in my role as a parent taking care of the needs of my family. 

The song starts off with the mundane tasks that so many parents get sick of doing.  And then to the working Dad, the student, the missionary, the musician, etc.  There is something in this song that everyone can identify with.  But what if we did these things in a way that brought a smile to God's face?

You’re picking up toys on the living room floor
for the 15th time today
Matching up socks and sweeping up lost
Cheerios that got away
You put a baby on your hip and color on your lips
and head out the door
And while I may not know you I bet I know you
Wonder sometimes does it matter at all
Well let me remind you it all matters just as long as you


Do everything you do to the glory of the One who made you
Cause He made you to do
Every little thing that you do to bring a smile to His face
And tell the story of grace
With every move that you make
And every little thing you do


I once met a 17-year old girl that really exemplified this message.  In my former life in the U.S., I was a volleyball coach for teenage girls.  One of the big events at the end of the year for the State Championship finals in New York State, is a banquet before the tournament.  At that banquet, there are about 20 teams from various parts of the state and each team selects a representative to get up in front of all 400+ people to talk about their team, their school, and their home town.

To give you an understanding of the setting, there wer 19 Public School teams represented there, and 1 Christian School...Loudonville Christian School, a very small school, and this was their first time making it to the State Finals.  When it came to be time for Loudonville to talk in front of the group, the team captain stepped up to the microphone.  She is this bubbly girl, that appeared to be so comfortable speaking in front of the group.  She talked about her teammates and her school, and then I was so amazed and proud when she talked about God.  She spoke of how her team believes that by playing Volleyball, they are giving glory to God.  She compared it to how parents watch their young children playing with toys and feel joy to see their children having fun.  She explained how God looks down on her team playing a sport they love, playing to the best of their ability, having fun, and He smiles.  Watching us play volleyball makes God smile. 

Watching us be kind to someone in the supermarket, makes God smile.  Watching us help a coworker, makes God smile.  Watching us greet our children at the bus stop, makes God smile.  And the list goes on forever.  What will you do today to make God smile?

So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.
1 Corinthians 10:31

May you find ways to take what might now seem to be mundane, and turn it into something that glorifies the Lord and makes Him smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment