Sunday, October 9, 2011

Courageous

I mentioned last week that I would soon be sharing another song from Casting Crowns....well, you don't have to wait any longer!  This is another powerful song, calling us to action.  Some background here...this song was written for the recently released movie, "Courageous" which I am so excited to see.  It's playing now in the US, and hopefully it will make it to the UK by November.  This movie is about 4 police officers that learn to be courageous in their home lives, by growing closer to God and raising their children in a way that honors God.  It is an action packed movie with a strong message for men as fathers and leaders in their families. 
While this song and movie are definitely targeting men and their roles as fathers, I think mothers and all Christians can be motivated by this song.  When I listen to this song, I am reminded of how hard it is sometimes to be a Christian in this world.  Of course, my life as a Christian is no where near as difficult as those courageous missionaries around the world proclaiming the Gospel in lands where religious freedoms do not exist.  But I am witnessing how being a Christian in the U.S., and even moreso in the U.K. qualifies me as a minority.  My pastor mentioned today that in the UK, only 6% of the population attends church on a Sunday.  This fact was made known to me when my daughter was invited to a birthday party that was scheduled for today, a Sunday, at 10:30am.  Sunday mornings are not Holy here for most people. 

And whether I'm in the US or the UK, I've always struggled with how to share the love of Jesus with my friends and aquaintances outside the church family.  Gosh, it's so hard.  Even today, when we had friends over for dinner, I felt myself wondering should we pray, should we not?  Why am I so nervous about the reaction of others, so afraid that by me mentioning Jesus I will offend or hurt a good relationship.  Why am I so afraid of the rejection of my beliefs, the rejection of my God.  Why is it so awkward? 

I so enjoy the fellowship, learning, sharing and support that comes from a church family, from Bible studies, and other church activities.  Sometimes I just long to be able to share those wonderful experiences with my friends.  So I will invite them to "Guest Sunday" or to our next Bible study, but then I am saddened when they don't come.  Making it harder for me to invite someone again.  Unfortunately, I take the rejection personally...but it's not about ME! It's about my friends and their relationship with their Creator, their life here on earth, their life after this earth. 

This is where the courage comes in.  To share Jesus Christ in a world that worships other Gods like money, career, power, and self.  To keep Jesus at the center of your life with all these distractions tempting us.

We were made to be courageous
We were made to lead the way
We could be the generation
That finally breaks the chains
We were made to be courageous
We were made to be courageous

We were warriors on the front lines
Standing, unafraid
But now we're watchers on the sidelines
While our families slip away

Where are you, men of courage?
You were made for so much more
Let the pounding of our hearts cry
We will serve the Lord

So may you be courageous to create a life for your family that honors God.  May you be a blessing to those around you and overcome that fear of rejection that holds you back from spreading the Good News of Jesus Christ.  I pray this for you and also myself, let's get back to the front lines.

For more information on the "Courageous" Movie, visit http://courageousmovie.com/

1 comment:

  1. I think you are being courageous by sharing your heart every week! Your blog is one of the little things that keeps me focused on Jesus. I look forward to your posts each week.

    ReplyDelete