Sunday, February 19, 2012

More Like Fallin' in Love

With the Valentine's theme in my brain this week, I thought this song by Jason Gray might be appropriate.  It's called "More Like Fallin' In Love.  I really can't resist these Live Studio Videos from KLOVE, especially when there's amazing guitar playing. For me this song is about being faithful out of love, not obligation.


I had to think about posting this song for a bit, because this song touches on some things that can tend to offend certain people.  Any time there is discussion of "religion" not being perfect, it's bound to cause some people to get defensive.  The last thing that I want is to be misunderstood and for people to think that my choice of this song means that I don't approve of religion or the Church.  That couldn't be further from the truth.  But I do acknowledge that there are some parts of the Christian religion in the world's history, and some that exist today, that can go against what Jesus' message was. Unfortunately, it's those things that have made the word "religion" a bad word for some people.

Give me rules
I will break them
Give me lines
I will cross them
I need more than a truth to believe
I need a truth that lives, moves, and breathes
To sweep me off my feet
It ought to be

More like falling in love
Than something to believe in
More like losing my heart
Than giving my allegiance
Caught up, called out
Come take a look at me now
It's like I'm falling, oh
It's like I'm falling in love

Give me words
I'll misuse them
Obligations
I'll misplace them
'Cause all religion ever made of me
Was just a sinner with a stone tied to my feet
It never set me free

For me this song is about realizing that our faith in Jesus should be based on our love for God and His love for us, not because it's what we're supposed to do, or because we're afraid of the consequences.  We should go to Church because we want to, because it refreshes us, recharges us, brings us closer to God, not because someone "upstairs" is watching and keeping count.  When we realize that God is a "living, breathing" force in our lives now, and we can have a loving relationship with Him right now, our lives can be transformed.

If you've every experienced falling in love, you know that it consumes your thoughts.  The heart beating in your chest feels different.  Your world feels different.  And that's how it can be when you're in love with Jesus...your life will feel different and he can be a part of your everyday life.

This song also acknowledges that even with our faith, we are all still sinners and though we hopefully are less sinful, we still find ways to go against God's intention for us.  And we pay the consequences here in this life.   This is not always understood by some people outside or even inside the Church.  Sometimes people think that Churches are filled with people who are flawless, or at least trying to appear so.  And so Church can be an intimidating place.

...It's like I'm falling in love, love, love
Deeper and deeper
It was love that made
Me a believer
In more than a name, a faith, a creed
Falling in love with Jesus brought the change in me
Yes, as John tells us:
We love because he first loved us.
1 John 4:19

It was God's love for us before we knew him that made us realize our love for Him. So may you realize your love for the Lord, and accept His love for you despite your flaws.  Let that love consume your life beyond the depths of our earthly love that we experience here with our spouse, our children, our parents, our friends. 

No comments:

Post a Comment