Sunday, December 4, 2011

Big Enough

This week's song will likely be pretty new to all of you.  It's a song that was released on an album called Past the Edges by Chris Rice in 1998.  Unfortunately, because of the song's age I can't find a Youtube video for it by Chris Rice, though I've found a video of someone else singing it.

I have to tell you about how I came across this song.  First, let me say that over the last few weeks, as I've been taking this Christianity Explored class, I've been struggling with a few beliefs that have been voiced during the discussions.  I'm rediscovering that there are still some things in the Bible that I don't know how to interpret.  While I know that I'm not the only person wrestling with these kinds of things, it's still difficult to be around people that think they know the answers, and that only one interpretation is possible.  So while in the midst of this mental struggle earlier this week, my Ipod (or God?) decided to randomly choose a song for me called "Big Enough."  I obtained the song on an old WOW Hits compilation, and don't recall even knowing that I had it.  This song is about how it's OK to have questions, and to not have all the answers.  It's OK to ask God our questions.  Some might think it shows God disrespect to question the meaning of words in the Bible, but I disagree. I do believe that God is "big enough" to handle all of our questions, though we might not receive all the answers when we want them.

So, I apologize that I don't have the original song for you to listen to, I'm sure you can find it on Itunes or Amazon if you search for it.  I did find a performance of the song by a woman named Aubri Colescott, and she did a lovely job.  So have a listen...

None of us knows and this makes it a mystery
If life is a comedy, then why all the tragedy?
Three and a half pounds of brain try to figure out
What this world is all about
And is there an eternity, Is there an eternity?

God if You're there I wish You'd show me
And God if You care then I need You to know me
I hope You don't mind me asking the questions
But I figure You're big enough
I figure You're big enough

Lying on pillows we're haunted and half-awake
Does anyone hear us pray "If I die before I wake?"
Then the morning comes and the mirror's another place
Where we wrestle face-to-face
With the image of deity, the image of deity


God if You're there I wish You'd show me
And God if You care then I need You to know me
I hope You don't mind me asking the questions
But I figure You're big enough
I figure You're big enough

When I imagine the size of the Universe
And I wonder what's out past the edges
Then I discover inside me a space as big
And believe that I'm meant to be filled up
With more than just questions


God if You're there I wish You'd show me
And God if You care then I need You to know me
I hope You don't mind me asking the questions
But I figure You're big enough
I figure You're big enough 

Cause I am not big enough.

So what makes me think that it's OK to question God?  I'm reminded of a story in Genesis 18, when Abraham is being warned by God that he plans to destroy the city of Sodom. Abraham is really bold...he basically negotiates with God to not destroy the city if there are righteous people living there.  When Abraham challenges God, over and over, God doesn't show any offense, but seems to encourage the discussion.

The men turned away and went toward Sodom, but Abraham remained standing before the Lord.  Then Abraham approached him and said: "Will you sweep away the righteous with the wicked?" What if there are fifty righteous people in the city? Will you really sweep it away and not spare the place for the sake of the fifty righteous people in it? Far be it from you to do such a thing - to kill the righteous with the wicked, treating the righteous and wicked alike.  Far be it from you! Will not the Judge of all the earth do right?"  

The Lord said, "If I find fifty righteous people in the city of Sodom, I will spare the whole place for their sake."

The Abraham spoke up again: "Now that I have been so bold as to speak to the Lord, though I am nothing but dust and ashes, what if the number of the righteous is five less than fifty? Will you destroy the whole city for lack of five people?"

"If I find forty-five there," He said, "I will not destroy it."
Genesis 18:22-28

And Abraham continues to challenge the Lord, repeatedly talking him down to 40, then 30, then 20, then 10, with God apparently never showing aggravation or frustration with Abraham.  Wow! Abraham sure did show a lot of courage right in the face of God!

So if you're one of those people out there that love God but still don't have it all figured out, I hope this song is encouraging to you, so you know that it's OK to have questions, and you're not alone.  These questions will help you to research more and maybe you'll come up with an answer, or maybe you'll be forced to accept the mystery. I pray that you are not discouraged by anyone for having such questions, and never feel that you are less of a Christian for having them. 

God Bless You!

No comments:

Post a Comment